Monday, December 7, 2009

Seriously?

I generally do not enjoy reading my local paper's editorial page. There is a lot of tripe printed on the page. I won't bore you with all the details, but it's not just because I disagree with much of it. It's bad reasoning and ignorance. I like listening to intelligent people I disagree with. I learn from them. But what my local paper chooses to print... Well, there's not much learning there to be had.

So I suppose it's no surprise that I didn't like opening today's paper. But what really bothered me wasn't a letter from one of my fellow citizens; it was an editorial cartoon from a nationally syndicated cartoonist.



I get it. I do. I dislike the Afghanistan war. I dislike Obama's decision for the troop buildup. I get that the war is a legacy from the previous administration.

But for crying out loud, why does he have to say that the war is an adopted child?

I mean, I wouldn't be surprised to see the NCFA running a strip like this, with the shirt reading adult adoptee (given how they seem to feel about adoptees who grow up). But do we really need more imagery making adoptees seem to be the unwanted, unasked for, wild and evil children?

If it kept people from adopting, I would almost put up with it. Instead, it just perpetuates imagery that adoptees struggle with enough as it is. We get it, we aren't wanted. Could we please stop now?

No comments: