Tuesday, March 11, 2008

More Synchronicity

Today, I walked to the Post Office to mail the form to the Ohio Vital Records office. This is the form, signed by my first mom, allowing them to give me a copy of my records, primarily my original birth certificate. I was told to wait a month or two before sending in the petition because it takes awhile to get the permission form on file. Still, one more step down, and I'm that much closer to seeing my original birth certificate. It's going to be a long couple of months, I think.

On the way to the Post Office, I noticed something. There is a small park near my house. A very small park sandwiched between two houses on the street. I've passed it hundreds of times. I knew it was there. I had seen the sign announcing the park's name. But I hadn't thought about it much. I don't know why I hadn't noticed it earlier, but the park's name is my biological father's last name.

I just stopped dead in my tracks, staring at this sign, this odd link to my biological father. The name is certainly common enough that there is no reason to think it's even a distant relative, but it was there, in big letters, just staring at me. While I was on the way to mail the form that would open my records.

The more I find out about my parents, the more I feel like they have been around me my entire life, and I just couldn't see the signs because I didn't know what to look for. Now that I do, it's impossible not to see them every time I turn around.

It's been a little difficult getting back into my life here. We had such a good visit with my first mom and my brothers. But I have loads of pictures, and lots of memories (and not a few Girl Scout Cookies) to tide me over until our next visit. I don't know when that will be, but I hope not too long.

Meanwhile, I think I need to think more about sending my biological father a letter of introduction. The universe seems to be sending me messages.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"...Signs, signs, everywhere are signs..."

It's fate Phil, you can't hide from it! ;) The planets are lining up or some shit like that.

I know, I know. Still coming off the emotional high of your visit. But, if I've learned anything in this life, it's don't wait around too long, or you just may never get that chance. I'm not sayin'...I'm just sayin'.

phil said...

Thanks, Lillie. This will be a project for the weekend. I need to write a letter. And I'll be planning to send it off next week.

EEK!