Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Family Traditions

Last year at this time I mentioned my annual tradition of baking cookies the day before Thanksgiving. Then, I was very upset over my (adoptive) mom's decision to not be home for my holiday visit. This year, though our relationship is not exactly back to normal, making the cookies once more had the feeling of being a part of a long-standing family tradition.

I also made rugelach for my wife. She loves it, and I wanted to make something special for her. It has been part of this annual ritual for years. As usual, there are pictures on Over A Candle.

I wish there was something I could think of including in this day that would connect with my first family. I love the sugar cookies. And the rugelach is very tasty. These connect my childhood with my life now. But I would like something to bring in my first family, too.

My (first) mom has told me that she's made Christmas sugar cookies for decades. They probably aren't the same recipe as the cookies that I make (that recipe comes from my adoptive grandma, who made it up herself). Still, even though I suspect the recipes are different, I do feel like there is a bit of a connection through the sugar cookies.

It still feels good to have some tradition of my own, based on other traditions from my past. That I spend the day baking feels right, somehow. It puts me in the holiday spirit. It gives me some of the stability that I have long craved in my life.

No comments: